Junior Unit Appliances
When you create a junior unit, it will include an efficiency kitchen with a counter, cabinets, a small bar-type sink, and multiple outlets for plug-in appliances. It’s a good idea for the homeowner to provide the larger appliances such as refrigerator, induction cooktop, microwave and/or toaster oven – that way you can pick models that are energy-efficient, and you’ll know they are safe and in good repair.
Refrigerator – When shopping for an under-counter refrigerator, Lilypad strongly suggests that you avoid the inexpensive models that are so popular in college dorms, and instead invest in one that is quiet and built to last. Look for a frost-free model that has a real freezer compartment large enough to store more than ice cubes. We like this U-Line model.
U-Line Model 1224RF – 24” Refrigerator/Freezer
- Link to quick reference guide
- Frost-free freezer that really freezes and is big enough for ice cube trays, frozen dinners, and ice cream
- Can be built in under a counter
- Available in stainless steel, white or black finish, and there is also a model that accommodates a custom panel so it can be coordinated with other cabinets
- Available online for $1669 (white) to $2200 (stainless)
Induction Cooktop – If you aren’t familiar with induction technology, here’s a brief explanation. It’s a quick, energy-efficient way to cook that isn’t a fire hazard. One- and two-burner portable induction cooktops are available. The models below were highly rated in online product comparisons.
Ikea Tillreda Portable Induction Cooktop
- Can be hung on wall
Induxpert Induction Cooktop Burner
- Temperature range from 140°F to 464°F
- Available online for $61 to $76
NuWave Precision Induction Cooktop
- Multiple models
- 52 different temperatures between 100°F and 575°F
- Available online for $58 to $70
Duxtop LCD Portable Induction Cooktop 9600LS
- Temperature range from 100°F to 460°F
- Available online for $99 to $125
Waring Pro ICT400 Double
- One burner with eight heat settings, one with five
- Available online for $199 to $242
Microwave or Convection/Microwave Oven – A convection/microwave oven provides more cooking options than does a standard microwave, including baking and roasting.
Toaster Oven – If you don’t provide a microwave, a toaster oven would be a useful addition to the kitchen since it will bake in addition to toasting. We like Breville.