PACE Financing

With Property Assessed Clean Energy, commonly called PACE, your home can get a loan for improvements that produce energy, save energy, and save water. Examples are solar power generation, insulation, double-pane windows, and low-flow toilets. PACE loans can fund energy- and water-related improvements, including those made while creating an ADU or junior accessory dwelling unit in existing living space. PACE loans cannot be used when creating a new ADU or a new living space developed from unimproved space such as a crawlspace or garage. The loan is paid back over a set term (for example 20 or 30 years) through your property taxes and is assumed by the next buyer if you sell your home before the loan has been repaid. Homeowners access PACE financing through contractors. If your preferred contractor isn’t signed up for PACE yet, encourage him or her to sign up.  The application process is simple and quick.  Some programs offer a personal loan that can be used in combination with a PACE loan to cover the project.

PACE programs require approval from the town or city; the Marin County website lists PACE options by town. The Marin Clean Energy (MCE) website has some helpful PACE FAQs.